Photo to follow....in too much of a rush to get them on the table hot. Got all excited and we gobbled them up too quickly before taking a photo for you all to be tempted by the beautifulness!! I'm obviously going to make them again.
It was my first attempt at tofu burgers and oh my...too delicious for words!! I was on the search of a good recipe off the internet, but no such luck. I was also short on some ingredients and some looked too eggy or too plain. I also wanted to use my ingredient of the month - PUMPKIN!!
I made 6 burgers, 3 for me and 3 for Andy :)
I served them up with a nice mixed salad of spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, shaved carrot, umeboshi (pickled plums) rasins, soy nuts and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
(makes 6 burgers)
0.5 cup soy beans
1 cup pumpkin finely copped
1 cup onion minced
1 300g tub firm tofu (drained)
1 small bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp mirin
1tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp kombu dashi granules (bullion powder would also work)
0.5 cup oats
1 oat cake
1 tblsp crushed sesame seads
Dusting of corn flour
[next time I'll probably add a little fresh herbs]
1) To drain the tofu cut it into four even pieces wrapping each peace in doubled over kitchen roll. Set aside for 30 mins.
2) Finely chop the onion, pumpkin, garlic, pepper and mix together with the soysauce, mirin and kombu dashi granules. Mash the soy beans then add to the mixture
3) Heat up a pan with a little olive oil then cook this mixture until all the ingredients come together and the onions begin to brown and the liquid has dissolved.
When satisfied transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and mix through the oats, scrunched up oat cake and sesame seeds.
4) Mix the tofu in the food processer or blender then scrape into the oaty mixture and mix through.
Lightly beat the egg then mix together with everything else.
5) lightly dust a plate with corn flour spoon a little of the mixture onto the flour turning and forming into a small or medium sized pates.
The flour gives the burgers a delicious crunchiness so don't miss it
out : )
Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
This mixture may feel a little unstable but it really comes together when you cook them in the pan.
6) Heat a little olive oil in the pan and cook through. Roughly a couple of minutes on each side should do.
Serve with your favourite salad and enjoy!!