25 Oct 2009

Chick Pea Chocolate Cake







This is how my Sunday began.  Woke up at stupid o'clock 6.30am and couldn't get back to sleep for the life of me.  Possibly has a lot to do with the fact that this weekend wasn't active and neither was I.  hhmmm no exercise for 1 month...I really should get back on track.
The only thing on my mind was to try out a new cake recipe.  I love secret ingredients and especially if they are healthy.  Chick peas were on my mind and that is what I used.
I didn't hold many hopes for this one working as the batter was pretty runny and minimal.  It was just too easy to make, but I bunged it into the rice cooker and the results, well...actually pretty good.  I wish I had a tub of creme fraiche to go with this one.  The consistency was similar to a chocolate fudge cake, but a little dryer and very nutty.  Next time I'm gonna mix in some chopped dates to give more moisture or perhaps a banana...hmmm...maybe both.
I love how this is healthy naughtiness.  It makes me feel a little less bad about not exercising.

I will post the recipe later, but for now here is a lovely find....This is the diamond in the rough and it goes by the name, "Graffiti"
Beautiful little gallery cafe in Kochi city, very fresh and bright with funky style.  The cherry on the cake was the free wireless.  Now I can spend all day here, blogging, studying Japanese and planning lessons.
A perfect Sunday afternoon.










Ok so now for the recipe to this protein rich gluten free cake.

Ingredients

1 tin of chick peas (garbanzo beans) drained.
1 cup dark chocolate (I used 70% greens organic)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
20g Butter
3 eggs
0.5 tsp baking powder

Directions

1.  melt the chocolate
2.  Mix the butter, sugar and baking powder to a paste
3.  mix the sugar mixture into the melted chocolate
4.  Put the beans and the eggs into the blender and blend until smooth
5.  Pour in the chocolate and blend together ( the smoother the better to avoid the cake to crumble when cooked)
6.  Add the raisins and pulse a few times
7.  Add batter to the rice cooker then set to the cake setting and cook for 45mins.
8.  When the timer has timed out, check the cake with a chopstick.  If it comes out clean transfer the cake to a wire rack and allow to cool before cutting and serving.

Dress the cake however you please.  For me, a cup of green tea works just fine, but for others a spoonful of creme fraiche or double cream.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails