Unlucky for me and due to the crazy changes of temperature, I caught the cold :( it was inevitable really since everyone around me seems to be sick. Luckily though, it wasn't the piggy variety : ) For this I was surprised, considering the high school I teach at has been closed down twice in the past 4 weeks because of it.
On a good note though staying at home and trying to rest encouraged me to do a bit more baking, making and movie watching :)
Here is one cake I made (see pic below). I took the recipe from www.allrecipes.com I have their funky wee spinner application on my iPod and this recipe took my fancy because of the easy instructions and I had all the ingredients.
WOW!! I love it!! It tastes like autumn and a bit like those little ginger German cakes covered with icing. I know there is no ginger in the recipe, you don't need it either as the cake is super fragrant and tasty!! I can't wait to have another piece today with my new fresh green tea : )
There were crumbs and chunks of cake remaining on the chopping board after cutting it into edible pieces, so Andy put them into his plain yogurt. Now, this could be an excuse for me to eat it for breakfast I think!
I wish I could send a piece of this cake to everyone! instead this blog posting will have to do!! Enjoy!
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water ( or soda water - for a fluffier texture and appearance)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Boil raisins in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add vegetable oil and cold water to the raisins.
- Mix sugar, flour, spices, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the raisin mixture, and stir till just mixed.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan or rice cooker bowl, and bake for one hour in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven or 1hr 30mins in the rice cooker switched on to cake setting. It is done if a toothpick comes out clean.