14 Sept 2009

Yummy Sake Risotto with Tofu



[oops I ate it before taking the picture :)]


This recipe is one I have adapted from one I found on the Internet. It was the first time I had attempted a risotto and it turned out a dream. I reckon you really can't go wrong with this one. Super healthy and super yummy and will work for either an appetiser or a main dish. (This dish also tastes great day 2, just heat up in a pan for 3 - 4 mins... mmmm... yum)


Serves 6
INGREDIENTS


1 tbsp - extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves - garlic chopped
1/2 - onion sliced and diced
1/4 cup - sweet sake/ white wine
2 cups - rice (short grain/risotto rice)washed
3 cups - vegetables - cut into small cubes
[I used asparagus, mixed peppers, tomatoes]
6 cups - stock (vegetable stock or medium miso paste)
1 cup - spinach/water cress/mixed fresh herbs
1 tub - firm tofu drained and diced
sprinkle - cracked salt and pepper





HOW TO:
Switch on the rice cooker to the regular rice cooking setting or 'quick cook' if you have that setting. Wait 3 mins for it to heat up.
  1. pour in the olive oil and wait for it to heat up. Spread the oil with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula covering the bottom of the pan.
  2. Add the onion and cook until it becomes translucent then mix in the garlic. This should take around 4-5 mins.
  3. Add the 1/4 cup of sake/wine and heat up until some of the alcohol has evaporated. This should take 2 mins.
  4. Add the rice and mix through, allowing all the rice to be coated in the onions and sake mixture. The rice should become a little translucent around the edges with white in the center before adding the stock. 4 -5 mins
  5. Before adding the stock mix through all of the vegetables except for the spinach/water cress/fresh herbs. Allow the vegetables to saute mixing frequently. Vegetables such as asparagus need a little longer to cook than other vegetables therefore spend a little time here to allow them to soften a little.
  6. Add the stock. Mix the contents together, close the lid of the rice cooker then set the cooker to porridge setting (if you don't have this setting set it to regular cook and check back every 10 mins to check the consistency and stir the contents through.
  7. Check the mixture after 10mins cooking and stir, close the lid and allow to cook until setting has timed out.
  8. This should still be a little soupy in texture.  If you like your risottos that little aldente, just stop the cooking process a little earlier.
  9. Stir through the spinach/watercress/mixed fresh herbs and allow to wilt.
  10. Finally spoon the mixture into medium/small bowls then top with the diced tofu. sprinkle a little salt and pepper to taste.














I decided to make this meal a second time (see photo above) because it was such a success the first time.   I followed the same instructions as before, however  for my vegetables this time I used asparagus, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.   Then just before the dish was cooked through I mixed in a tub of pureed silken tofu (an amazing healthy substitute for cream, low in fat and full of goodness) chopped spring onions and avocado, keeping some avocado aside for garnish.
to add a little extra colour and taste I garnished with pickled ginger.   The end result was a creamy mushroom and avocado risotto which tasted naughty, but minus the guilt. Truly scrumptious!! :)
The textures and flavours worked so well together I could possibly say this is my number one risotto!! Try it!   I promise you, it won't fail!!

1 comment:

Andy Webster said...

I love it.
Its now my turn to cook dinner tonight and I decided to put Susans new recipes to the test and see if her directions are Andy friendly
I just attempted this risotto and it is as delicious as the picture. Really creamy and tasty.
Its also very easy to make.
It took longer than I thought but it was well worth the wait. Maybe you should reduce the amount of stock to 4.5 cups as 6 cups was a little too much.
MMMMmmmmmmm Oishii
This is addictive and I think Susan will wish she never introduced it to me as I would eat it every night if I could

Related Posts with Thumbnails