19 Sept 2009

Banana Birthday



For this cake I used a recipe from one of my links to the left of this page 'Banana Cake'
That one is pretty much what I made but instead of the oven, I cooked it in my rice cooker.   I also added some chocolate chunks, walnuts and raisins...mmm...with a tsp here and there of cinnamon, powdered cloves and nutmeg.

Here is the picture of the finished result.  Unfortunately I can't talk about the outcome yet as I made it for Andy's birthday weekend up in Iya valley.  Not your typical birthday cake, but I think it looks pretty good and it smells even better.  The recipe I took it from has so many amazing reviews, so I think that speaks volumes.

I'm just pretty impressed I made a cake in the rice cooker :)

Note: If you substitute the self raising flour (as stated in the recipe) for all purpose flour, remember to add 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt.

113g butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar (granulated, caster, or mix in some demerara, whatever you have to hand)
1 cup self raising flour (I couldn't find self raising here in Japan so used all purpose)

[1.5 tsp baking powder & 1/2 tsp salt] - if you use all purpose
2 eggs
3 medium, very ripe bananas

Handful crushed walnuts
1 tsp heaped cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove powder
1 tsp nutmeg powder
1 bar of chocolate (broken into small pieces)

1.  Grease the rice cooker bowl/pan with butter or marg
2.  Mash the bananas with a sturdy fork or blend in a blender
3.  Cream the butter and sugar together and mix in the eggs
4.  Mix together the mushy bananas.
5.  Mix in the sieved flour and spices

6.  Mix in the chocolate raisins and crushed walnuts.
7.  Scrape into the rice cooker and bake for 60 minutes on the cake function. If you don't have that function switch to on then check the mixture when the setting finishes with a chop stick.  

8.  If it comes out clean you are in the clear and can let it cool on a rack then eat.  


Remember not to peek in the cooker to see how its going as that will let all the steam out (this steam is what cooks the cake) :) 








Update - Sep 23

*****!!!  This one was super delicious and will be made again this week.
It was devoured within seconds which gives me a clear sign that everyone who tried it felt the same.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails