18 Sept 2009

Tofu

As you may have noticed this month, my very first month of blogging, I have decided to use tofu in every recipe.

This particular food is very limited in flavour, but full of the most digestible protein of any food.  Containing almost 20 percent of your daily requirement of protein, about the same as a poached egg but minus the 350 mg of cholesterol.
Tofu is possibly the one of the healthiest foods I have ever eaten.  Containing 8 essential amino acids which play a huge role in rebuilding cells in our bodies.  It also contains calcium and iron, so if you are lactose intolerant, vegan or trying to avoid dairy like me then tofu is your friend.

From what I have experienced, tofu is soooo unbelievably versatile and I will try to prove that to you in all my tried and tested recipes.
Tofu is possibly best described as a sponge, as it soaks up any flavour you put it with.  The only thing you need to remember is to drain it to get it to it's fullest potential.
If you are in a hurry and no time for marinading, then 30 minutes in the flavour of your choice and your  tofu is ready for the next step.

This spring was the first time I had even tried it on the BBQ.   From now on I will choose tofu over chicken/beef every time.  It's just sooo succulent and moist...mmmmm....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails