27 Nov 2009

Sweetpotato, pumpkin and onion mash

The weather is becoming cooler by the day and the last of the momiji are parting from their branches.  Winter is approaching fast and the thought and excitement of winter deliciousness is beginning to excite my taste buds.
The thought of this yum also frightened my waist line, or what's left of it anyway (I bake cakes way too much) so this past month has been filled with the need to get back in shape.  Yoga every day has started me off to a decent start.  I also bought this genius little application for my ipod for strength training.  It's basically a game where you battle other users to beat their score.  The ipod scores you on your form and control.  such a genius piece of equipment.  Impressed.  Anyway, only just started using it and my body is feeling tender...I didn't realise how out of shape I became!
Let's just hope the motivation lasts longer than a week.

As for food, this week I wanted a wee change from our usual rice and veg, so decided to pick up some fresh fish fillets, leafy herbs and of course pumpkin and sweet potatoes and created this delicious dish.
   



The recipe will follow shortly....



Ingredients:

2 cups sweet potatoes
1 cup pumpkin or butternut squash
1 cup celery
1 cup red onion
1 tsp powdered stock/ vegetable or konbu dashi
1 clove garlic
fresh ground black pepper
a dash of olive oil
a dash of soymilk

Directions

- Cut the pumpkin and sweet potato into cubes and boil untu\il tender
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, celery and garlic for a couple of minutes until translucent.  You want to have a bit of crunch to the vegetables.
- When the potato and pumkin is tenter and crumbling slightly, drain and return to the pot
- mash with the powdered stock, soy milk and a little olive oil
- mix in the sauted oinion etc
- sprinkle the black pepper

To accompany the mash I served mixed herbs with a lemon dressing and cherry tomatoes and
grilled a fillet of white fish and placed on top of the mash.

Beautifuly colourful and of course...delicious!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails